Sunset

Sunset
Sunset from our Kona hotel lanai

Saturday, July 10, 2010

the First Time Only Hurts A Little

They talk about beginner's luck. This is my first attempt at blogging. I don't know if anyone will read it, since no one comments on my Facebook "on my mind" baby blogging. But I don't care.
I'm fifty and I'm turning fearless. I do what I need to do and then I do what I want. I make sure everyone has something they can fix to eat, and then I might eat bread and butter with a large glass of ice tea. I'm short, and stout and love to say "Screw it" when I feel the need to conquer a bad memory. Like the tape running in my head "She never did her homework" boy that seems to sum up my childhood, teenage years and even college years. "She never did her homework..." "She never did her homework..." but the kind thing to say would have been "She never did her homework, but she got great grades, practically a straight A student, because maybe, just maybe she didn't have to work hard on home work. She was smart. Really smart.
Now it's just thank you very much because when I hear the tape I hear "She never did her homework but she got good grades."

I turned 50 on a boat in the middle of Matzalan's Harbor. We stayed on the ship, ate, and read on the deck, and had dinner in the dining room. I had my cake and ate it too. It was chocolate with chocolate icing. I had an international choir of eight waiters, head waiters and foot waiters sing to me. Then I went to bed early and let the ship rock me to sleep. We spent a week on the ship. So we ate, we read, and we saw a lot of the "Mexican Riviera" in November. I love the fact you are spoiled rotten the entire trip. You can go to shows, gamble, drink, swim, and just read. I am not one to pay a lot to travel and just relax, but I've learned to sit and listen to the waves crash against the shore, watch for the dolphins, and let the wind mess up my hair until the sun goes down and the stars replace the glistening ripples on the ocean while the waves continue to crash against the slick black lava frozen in time by the ice cold ocean water.

Now I work, I keep a house in disarray and I write. I write because there is so much I want to say. I have stories in my head, a committee of characters debating daily whose turn it is to take the podium and dictate my day. Then its my job to write it down as they wish it to be told.

They beckon me now as it is late and I am off to see the Wizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment