Sunset

Sunset
Sunset from our Kona hotel lanai

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Music Makes The World Go Round

My earliest music memories were from Sundays. We didn't go to church so my mother would stack the stereo with albums from Broadway musicals, TimeLife, and stars like Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell. I didn't know the Lord's Prayer but I could sing the entire songbook from Camelot, Sound of Music, Paint Your Wagon, My Fair Lady, 1776, and many others. I remember going across North Dakota singing "Dakota" from the One and Only Original Family Band. Then when I was a freshman in college, I sang to myself on the way home from the state championship playoffs, I stopped when I realized people could hear me. One of the teachers said "Keep Singing, you put everyone to sleep." Imagine in 1974, teenagers being out to sleep by the songs from "Camelot". It happened. Tonight I found myself wide awake and listening to one of the those Time-Life infomercials touting songs of the 60's. I must have known 95% of the songs from my childhood and KOOL-FM. I had teenagers on each side of me when I was young and I know I learned a lot of songs from their record players. And when I use to go to see Peter, Paul and Mary, I always saw one of the Collins kids there too. I love the oldies. They are the goodies. And I love ITUNES because if I wanted to I could go on right now and order a bunch of these songs. IPODS are great for that but the music makes my world go round.

Sunday nights we watched Ed Sullivan and bless his heart (in a good way) he had the best singers and bands on his show every week. He didn't care what color they were or where they were from he just wanted to have the musicians there to play their hits. I can watch the Ed Sullivan specials on VH1 all day long if they are on...

No comments:

Post a Comment